Monday, January 31, 2011

First day of class and I’m halfway done for the week!

I’m also already exhausted.  Or maybe I just have yet to become unexhausted.  Sunday we spent catching up on rest and a short trip to IKEA.  A new pillow was necessary… mine was literally flat as a pancake.  We also bought some candles and a drying rack for our dishes.  Then, we finally went for our first run in Firenze!!  We ran about 3.5 down to the Arno River and over the bridges crossing it.  It was getting dark and the lit city
over the river was gorgeous!

Okay so I didn’t exactly take this picture.  But this was exactly what it looked like!!!


When we got back our roommates had invited Romanian Italians? over to cook dinner for us.  Nine of us crowded around our tiny kitchen table and had a feast.  They made bruschetta, tomatoes and mozzarella, gorgonzola cheese and another kind with jam and nuts, chicken liver?, cold cuts of the most delicious ham and salami… and that was just the appetizer.  Then came the pasta in a white sauce with sausage, and we didn’t even have room for the chicken.  Dessert consisted of fruit salad with melted nutella drizzled over it.  Yum. 

Today, I woke up at 8 and headed to my first class: Organized Crime (aka the Mafia) from 9:00-11:30.  I can tell it is going to be a fun and interesting class.  Some of us went to buy our book after class for only 10 euro.  I’m liking these textbook prices wayyyy better than the ones back home!  Then I stopped in the market and bought a huge slab of pork ham.  Case and I figured we should just try something new every day.  My Italian class came next around 1:30 and my roommate Gina is in it with me!  I’m so anxious to learn more of the language and be able to interact with the locals a little bit more.  Our Italian class is perfect because there are only 8 people in every class so we will have plenty of time to practice.  After Italian, I have World Religions from 3:00-5:30 and after such a long day it was all I could do to keep my  eyes open for the last 30 minutes of class.  

At dinner!

  Casey and I took off for a little 4 miler around the Arno again which felt refreshing.  Then we headed to a dinner provided by Lorenzo di Medici, the school we are attending here in Florence.  It was delicious, and the building the dinner was held in was so elegant and elaborately decorated! 

The ceiling!

Buona Sera!

No comments:

Post a Comment