Thursday, February 17, 2011

Interlaken, Switzerland


It’s not real.  I saw it and I still don’t believe how blue the water of the two lakes surrounding Interlaken is.  Not to mention waking up to enormous snow-capped mountain every morning.  Interlaken was all I could have asked it to be.


I traveled to Interlaken with a student travel agency called Euroadventures.  The trip began around 7 o’clock Thursday night when Casey and I walked up to the bus and found that our friends Melissa, Rose, Tom, Keith, and Matt had signed up as well.  We watched 3 movies and finally arrived at Katy’s B&B around 4 am. 




The next morning after breakfast, we wandered until we found a hiking trail and hiked 3,000 something feet up to Harder Klum.  It was beautiful and quite a tough little hike.  It took 2.5 hours to get to the top and the view was unreal.  Perfect way to start the trip. 



After finding our way back down the mountain, we bought tickets for a Swiss chocolate show.  I can’t even tell you how many truffles I ate.  I learned how to make hollow chocolate cows!  We definitely got our money’s worth out and the tickets came with 8 franc vouchers for even more chocolate.  (Hey Josh, try to eat my swiss chocolate- you can’t…. torched). 

Instead of going night sledding with our friends because Euroadventures told us it was closed because there wasn’t enough snow…  (We were a little disappointed in our Euroadventure guides and the information they gave us… or lack thereof)  We ate at a little Swiss restaurant and then found the cheap pitchers at Hooters.




Saturday, we skied the Swiss Alps… and by skied I meant fell down the Swiss Alps.  My two ski trips to Sugar Mountain obviously didn’t prepare me for Kleine Schiedegg.  It was beautiful, nonetheless.  Pictures can’t even do it justice.  And even though I had huge raspberries on both hips and was ridiculously sore in every single muscle in my body (yes, even the muscles under my chin?) I was a happy camper after ending on a nice, long blue to Grindelwald.



We barely had any time to relax before Casey and I headed off to night sled (because there was enough snow).  Our guide was hilarious and it was so fun!  We had a swiss cheese fondue after with bread and Interlaken brewed beer!  The saying “would you like some cheese with that wine” became literal because the cheese fondue had so much wine in it and you could definitely taste it.
Exhausted from our day of adventures, we hit the sheets.


 

We took Sunday easy and spent the day messing around in the huge field used for skydiving and paragliding landings, eating kebabs, and souvenir shopping before packing up the bus and heading home.



My first trip was definitely a success.  I learned how I would rather travel in the future and we made some great memories.  Switzerland, I will probably be seeing you again soon!  Next time, mom and I will be hiking your beautiful mountains.     



No comments:

Post a Comment