Monday, March 7, 2011

Carnevale di Venezia


.

What a weekend!  Carnevale in Venice turns the beautiful but usually calm island into a festival where anything goes, especially while wearing a mask.  We took a 20ish minute ferry to get to Venice and spent the day exploring the pretty streets lined with water, crossing bridges, taking pictures of the most outrageous costumes (ironically, most of which are usually worn by the French), and trying to move through the shoulder to shoulder crowd to get to the biggest piazza- Piazza San Marco where they held different shows.  


For dinner, we searched for a seafood restaurant on the canal in our price range.  Obviously we only were able to accommodate two of our three requirements, so price went out the window.  My thirty euro pasta with rocklobstersauce and 2 glasses of wine was absolutely delicious though- no regrets!  I tried vino brule (hot wine) for the first time and it was quite yummy.  We walked the crazy streets and ran into some very interesting people along the way.  We hopped on a train to get back to our hotel, and Lauren and I sat next to Italian college students from 30 minutes outside of Venice.  They were so fun to talk to, and Lauren entertained them with her spang-italian-lish.  Thanks to facebook we are now friends!

 

Sunday, we went to islands Murano and Burano in the Venetian Lagoon.  Murano is famous for glass.  We went to a glass blowing demonstration and watched a glass horse be made in literally less than 5 minutes.  Then, we were rushed to Burano where we unfortunately only had an hour to explore.  Burano is famous for lace-making.  I found mom the cutest salt and pepper shakers to add to our collection.  They are a man and woman dressed up in Carnevale costumes/masks on a gondola that says Venezia on it!  After an hour ferry ride back to the mainland, we headed back to Florence.

 


Today, I gave my presentation in my organized crime class on the pizza connection and heroin trafficking.  It went really well!!  The mafia started using pizzerias in the northeast and other parts of America in the 1970’s to distribute heroin.  So I made pizza last night and brought it in with my presentation and it was delicious! 
I went for a run and then took a nap in the evening though and woke up nauseous.  I think I might have food poisoning :/ So its been a little bit of a rough night.  Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow!
Ciao!        






No comments:

Post a Comment