Tuesday, April 12, 2011

eat, drink, and love strong


I’m finally almost caught up with my blog again!  Although it’s only a matter of time before I’m behind again… Friday, my friend Katie and I made trip to a little beach town called Viareggio!  We met up with Allison from my history of Florence class and some of her friends and we were so lost in the warm sun, the sound of the waves crashing, and the chilly ocean water we barely remembered where we were.  Oh, until we saw the beautiful mountains behind us.  We got wayyy too much sun, but it was a great relaxing retreat from Florence. 


Saturday, we made our way to Siena where we found the best cappuccinos in the cutest coffee shop!  We ate Siena’s specialty, pici senesi, which is really thick spaghetti noodles.  There isn’t too much touristy “must see” places in our Tuscany excursion this weekend, so we had plenty of free time to relax and really take in the Italian way of life which moves veryyyyy slooowwwlllyyy.  It was a nice change though because if you know me, you know I have to be forced to do anything slowly.  We headed to Piazza del Campo after lunch to bask in the warm sun in the huge piazza that was full of locals and tourists.  


This is where the famous horse races are held in Siena.  Before we left, we made a quick trip to Nannini, Siena’s oldest and most famous pastry shop.  Siena is known for its cakes and cookies and from the ricciarelli (a soft almond cookie with powdered vanilla on top) I can see why.


We left Siena and drove through the beautiful Tuscan hills to Fonteverde Spa where we enjoyed the warm thermal baths.  It was so relaxing, and I perched myself under the waterfall that massaged your back.

Dinner was provided to us at our hotel in Chianciano Terme.  It was a decent five course meal that took a full two and a half hours.  Told you Italians moved slowly.  I slept like a rock even though Italy’s primavera brought me unwanted allergies. 


The next morning, we headed for Perugia where we ate a long lunch and relaxed while enjoying the Italian atmosphere.  We did a little shopping and I bought sunglasses that actually block the sun, because my Chinatown Ray-Bans definitely do not. 


Then, we were off to my favorite part of the weekend: wine tasting in Chianti.  We went to a vineyard called Castello da Verazzano and I would recommend it to anyone.  The owner of the vineyard was so entertaining and funny.  He actually inspired me to change the name of my blog.  Let’s get real, I am never going to be able to live the “dolce far niente” lifestyle, and it is definitely not how I have spent my four months abroad.  He told us to eat, drink, and love strong and never fear the end.  And then he proceeded to teach us Italian prepositions with their hand motions because “an Italian with his hands in his pockets is speechless.”  We toured the cellar and spelled the delicious prosciutto that they make from their own wild boars and their homemade balsamic vinegar which, don’t worry, is only 45 euros.  Then, we sat down outside on a beautiful covered deck and feasted on special pasta they made for us and their table wine.  Following that was the beans, bruscetta, pecorino cheese, prosciutto, and salami with Chianti Classico- my favorite.  Then the Chianti Classico Riserva which undergoes fermentation for 24 months instead of 12.  Last we had Vin Santo, a sweet dessert wine, with biscotti.  Our tummies left extremely satisfied as we drove through the Chianti region during the sunset.      

            

No comments:

Post a Comment